Sunday, May 08, 2011

Witnessing History

I wasn't able to blog due to partying/internet not working at home, so I was debating on what I should blog about this time around.  The answer's a little bit obvious - being no-hit by Justin Verlander.

Pretty much, I just need to vent/rant about some criticism I received based on my excitement for Verlander throwing the 2nd no-hitter of his fairly young career. I was told by some people that I'm obviously not much of a Jays fans if I would have liked to witness a no-hitter when we were down 9-0 in the bottom of the ninth.  Apparently, that meant that I was automatically rooting against the Jays.

Yes, I'm a Jays fan and they are my team.  I am also a fan of the game. Would I have been upset if we broke the no-hitter? Far from it. But ultimately, as a fan of the sport, I was somewhat hoping that I would see it happen.

That's what I love about Baseball.  It's one of the very few sports where despite having your favourite teams to cheer for, you have to have mad respect for the game as a whole.  How many of us check out the last half of an inning when MLB.tv makes it free to watch if there's a no-no/perfect game going on even if we have nothing invested in either team?

I've been to many baseball games in my lifetime and I've been able to witness 2 almost no-nos (McGowan against the Rockies and Morrow against the Rays).  And being able to see a no-hitter in person as a Baseball fan even though we were the ones who were no-hit is just as exciting as seeing a Jays pitcher no-hitting another team.

But, you know, Spring Training plus road trips plus being a Season Ticket Holder shows I'm not a true Jays fan since I was excited to see Baseball History.

No comments:

Post a Comment